As recently I became the webmaster on the drupal.org and few people started asking me about how to become a webmaster and where to start. So I write a blog post so that others can benefit.
In simple words: "Start Contributing". Webmaster privileges aren't granted lightly for obvious reasons. A solid history of consistent contributions on drupal.org is a must to get consideration for an elevated role.
How to start contributing & where you can contribute :
- Help out in the content queue, especially reviewing Service Listing requests .Marketing guidelines for reviewing the service listing requests.
- Training Listing requests, Marketing guidelines to review training listing requests.
- Help out in the webmasters queue, Textual improvements requests.
- Depending on your skills, you can also contribute to drupal customizations as well.
- if you found any problem while contributing to above sections,just comment on the below post/ if you need immediate answer you can try and find one of the webmasters on IRC - #drupalorg IRC channel on Freenode.
If you need guidance, join the #drupalorg IRC channel and find dddave, lizzjoy, tvn or myself. A general overview about the various ways to contribute to Drupal.org can be found in the documentation.
If you have good coding skills, you are more than welcome to help reviewing project applications. I encourage you to learn more about that process and join the group of reviewers.